A continuum of care, also known as a life care plan or cost of care assessment, is a tool used to estimate the current and future medical and non-medical needs of individuals who have experienced catastrophic injuries or have chronic health care needs. It also projects the costs and frequency of the needed goods and services over the estimated lifespan of the individual. This report provides an organized, concise set of recommendations that serve as a guide for an individual, family, caregivers, and/or payer source to follow to ensure that the proper resources will be available over an individual’s lifetime.
All areas of care are taken into account, including, but not limited to: medical, diagnostic and laboratory services, supplies, medications, transportation, therapies, nursing, assistive devices, vocational and educational services, home care, support care, and long-term residential facility costs. The sources used are updated on a regular basis as they apply and become available.
Continuums of care/life care plans are used in a variety of settings, including but not limited to:
- Determining the resources that will be necessary for an individual during guardianship proceedings.
- Providing organizations with information about what is necessary to address the needs of their employees as a result of injuries sustained from work activities.
- Developing a plan to appropriately distribute funds from a trust account to meet the needs of an individual with a disability over his lifetime.
- Providing assistance when an individual experiences catastrophic injury or illness and his/her needs must be determined in legal proceedings.
- Assisting families in planning for the future well-being of children with disabilities or a mental health condition.
- Assisting adult children in distributing resources appropriately to address the needs of their parents.
- Providing a tool for presenting the recommendations from a multi-interdisciplinary evaluation.
Comprehensive Rehabilitation Consultants has been developing continuums of care/life care plans for more than 30 years and is a recognized leader in the field. Several of our professionals are Fellows of the International Academy of Life Care Planners, which recognizes life care planners who have achieved a high level of skill and who use their skills and knowledge to promote the advancement of life care planning.
For more information, please contact the Continuum of Care department.